Over the past 15 years, we have watched our community grow into one of Toronto’s most vibrant neighbourhoods. New facilities and services, more housing, increased development and a growing population have changed the landscape of our community for the better.
For those 15 years I had the honour of serving as your City Councillor, and I’m proud of what we accomplished together — but there is still so much work to do.
Shortly after I announced my candidacy, Premier Ford began the implementation of Bill 5, cutting Toronto's 47 wards down to 25. This means on October 22, 2018, Toronto will elect just 25 City Councillors.
Now, I will be running in Ward 17, Don Valley North. It's the same great community I have served, but super-sized — from Highway 401 north to Steeles and Victoria Park west to Bayview. It is a pivotal spot in Toronto and deserves the best representation possible.
I am running again to work with you to advance Don Valley North with a “quality of life” approach. Growing communities like ours need representatives who know how to advocate for healthy progress while putting the best interests of residents first — and I hope to continue to do just that.
As City Councillor, I:
- Delivered brand new and upgraded community spaces we rely on
- Introduced Toronto’s Basement Flooding Mitigation program
- Conducted Toronto’s first-ever Participatory Budgeting Process
- Served as Chair of the City’s Budget Committee during the global financial crisis
- Served as Chair of Public Works and Infrastructure
- Always collaborated and consulted with residents when approached with transit and development proposals
- Created the “Ward 33 Weekly E-blast” to directly engage with residents on the issues of the day
In the coming months, there will be plenty of thoughtful debate on how to move our community forward. As the citywide election unfolds, I think you will see now is the time for strong leadership, action and experience from someone who has always seen public service as a 24/7 calling and not just a job.
Changing the City’s governance system will take tremendous effort but we have to make it work. If you visit the Issues pages in this website, you will learn I am the only candidate in this race with the experience and energy to make the new 25 ward model a success both at City Hall and in our community.
I am looking forward to working with all of you as we discuss and debate our vision for Ward 17, Don Valley North over the next four years.
Candidate for City Council, Ward 17 - Don Valley North